Monday, July 22, 2013

Best Canada day ever!!

 I should probably tell you all about the best thing that happened  to me this month. For that we need to go all the way back to July 1st. Canada day.

  The night before Canada day on June 30th i actually found out about an exciting event being held in downtown St Catharines the next day.  In the market square there would be ponies and face painting and bouncy houses and hot dogs, There would also be a band playing. That band? They were a big band in Canada in the 80's and  early 90's. They had a top 40 song in America. They also sang the theme song to the awesome Lethal Weapon movie and they had a song featured on the final episode of Miami Vice. Yup i did try and sell Kath on the show with all those facts. She didn't seem impressed. However Diana wanted to do something to celebrate Canada day and the event was free. Kath decided we would go. For the record Honeymoon Suite was not the great thing that happenned to me that day as mentioned in the first line of this blog.

  We arrived downtown and there was a lack of parking. I figured we would give up and go home. We eventually found a spot and went to the show. We looked around for a bit. Kath pointed out a big guy with tattoos at a food line.

"that looks a lot like Colin"  she said.

If you remember Colin was one of my best friends for years. We met in grade 10 and had a lot of great times. We liked the same music and he actually got me into Bruce Springsteen. He was the best man at my wedding. We had a falling out in 2007 and hadn't really talked since. He called me when my dad passed away three years ago and then that was it. My mom ran into him a bunch of times and i guess he asked about me. I've been wanting to call him for the last year but kept chickening out.

"nah," i replied. 'that's not him. Too many tattoos."

We walked a bit further and ran into a guy named Billy. He is Colin's brother in law. Sure enough it was Colin we had seen and Billy said i should go say hi. I gotta admit i was really nervous. What was i going to say? I walked up and said hi and we shot the bs a little. Then Kath and i ate lunch. Colin came back over and we started talking. He asked if i would walk with him for a bit so i did. Turns out he had been thinking of calling me for awhile also and he was nervous to do so. We caught each other up a bit and exchanged phone numbers. We both hate talking on the phone but don't mind texting. So that was cool.

  I have to say that after our conversation i felt like a million bucks. I got my friend back after all these years. So thanks to Kath for agreeing to go. Oh by the way Honeymoon Suite still sounded great after all these years. All hail the Suite!!

No comments: