Sunday, July 28, 2013

Camping

 So jumping from Canada day to July 6th. For years I've been wanting to go camping with Kath. I used to camp all the time when i was a kid and in the 90's i would go to Sherkston Beach with my buddies. Of course those Sherkston times involved a lot of alcohol.  

  Our friends Darren and Alex and their children were going camping and asked if we wanted to go. Not sure how she managed it but Alex convinced Kath to go. Diana was pretty excited as well. The plan was to  on the 6th and come home on the 8th. We'd go swimming at the beach and we'd eat awesome food and drink around the campfire. We were going to be about an hour outside of Toronto.

  The drive up was pretty cool. We got our tents set up in record time. It was a pretty nice camp site. John and Rachel had lent us some camping equipment including a tent to sleep in. We ate an awesome lunch and dinner. Diana and i got to swim a bit at the beach. After the kids went to bed we had a few beers and talked around the campfire. It was an awesome night. Kath seemed to have a good time. I thought i had won her over with camping. Then we went to sleep. That's when the trip took a turn for the worse.

  I fell asleep quickly and found myself waking up every hour. It seems I'm a little too old to sleep in a tent and my back was killing me. I fell back to sleep. Then around 3 am it started to rain. We had left the windows open to get some air in the tent. We woke up and quickly shut the windows. Some rain got in and my  feet were soaked. We went back to sleep until  roughly 9 am. The rain let up for a tiny bit but continued all damn day. We managed to get some tarps up so we  would have some shelter and keep dry. Darren got the fire started and we had a great breakfast, lunch and dinner. Around 5pm we decided to give up and get the f--- out of dodge. We weren't gonna stay another night in the rain. We packed up the cars and got our asses back to the Niagara region.

 Diana had a great time and we loved the first night. I think we may be done with camping--unless we rent a camper or something. So it turns  out camping is a younger mans game. Oh well.

No comments: