Friday, April 20, 2012

Wizard World Toronto 2012 wrap up part 1



Well its blog number 800. Who'd a thunk it? So thankfully i have a happy blog for the occasion. Just sitting here listening to Walk by the Foo Fighters. You might remember that song from last summers Thor movie. Speaking of Thor I can't believe we are only 2 weeks away from the Avengers movie. I can't wait.

Anyhow as you may recall we went to the Wizard World con in Toronto on April 15th. It was our third Wizard World and they always treat us right there. For the third year in a row Get your Geek received press passes from a great man Jerry Milani. He took good care of us yet again. It was much appreciated.

We got there good and early this year. We were in pretty good shape. We had two interviews lined up. One with Catherine Mary Stewart from The Last Starfighter. The other was a lady who makes geek crafts named Lisa. To start the day we were going to try something a little different.

So i think i've mentioned that Quantum Leap is my favorite show of all time. It was a great time travel show that starred Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell and ran from 1989 to 1993. I can't believe its almost been 20 years since that show ended. I loved that show. Both actors were at the con but unfortunately for us they werent doing interviews. They were however doing a q and a quantum Leap panel at noon. I've always read about panels with different actors and was curious about what they were like. I couldn't pass up a chance to see the guys from my all time favorite tv show. When we arrived at the room where it was being held we discovered another power of the press. Not only could we attend for free but we got in first with the other members of the press. We actualy got to sit in the second row. See the photo above where you can see us sitting there. As a bonus we were allowed to record the event. Rob got audio of the event and Kath got video. It was so cool. Both actors came out and joked around a lot with each other and the audience. The moderator asked them a few questions about the show and then asked if anyone else had questions. A line formed behind a microphone and i immediately got in that line. I had no idea what i was going to ask but i knew i would regret it for the rest of my life if i didn't get up there. I was about 7th in line. While i waited they told tales of the show. When i reached the front of the line i asked about a possible Magnum Pi crossover that had been planned. I guess the question went over well. Two other blogs about the con mentioned it! all good things come to an end though and after an hour the panel was done. It was so cool and amazing. I think next year we will check the listings and see who is doing panels. It was really interesting.


Kath and i spent the next hour doing a little bit of shopping. Diana was with us this yea and she was being so good. We noticed that Catharine Mary Stewarts booth was open and we decided to go ask and see when she would be available for the interview. Her co star from the Last Starfighter Lance Guest was also with her. She asked me where she knew me from and then realized i was the st catharines guy that posted on her facebook group. She asked us if we wanted to interview Lance as well. I didn't really have any questions for him though. I said yes and then we re grouped with Rob at the food area to rethink the interview to include both parties. How did it go? Tune in for part 2 of my wizard world round up.

No comments: