Friday, November 29, 2013

The day i loved the day job

  So i  guess i should tell the tale of how i wound up with two tickets to the Hammer town comic con. Its actually a pretty cool story.

  Longtime followers of the blog will remember that I'm not a fan of my day job. I have never taken part  in any extra activities my work has done. I've never even been to one of my staff Christmas parties in the last 12 years. In mid September i read that our work was going to have a comic con themed day. I thought it was a cool idea but figured I would stay out of it. As i was leaving work a guy i kind of recognized came running up to me and asked what i was doing for comic con day. I replied probably nothing. Then he asked me if i was still doing the pod cast? Ok i was starting to get curious. I guess my name was given to the committee in charge of the event and they were interested in me doing the pod cast at work. I quickly changed my tune and said that i was indeed interested. It turns out the gut i recognized was also friends  with Paul who runs Pulp Comics and his name was Dusty,

  So the following week for the first time ever i was excited to go to work. I even wore my half assed Clark Kent costume. I gotta tell--in 12 years it was the coolest day i ever had at work. There were super hero movies being played on the tvs and people  in costumes. There were giveaways and super hero music being played in the hallway and free bags of popcorn. I sat at the front with Dusty. Man that guy knows his stuff. I set up the dice game that we run when we have appearances at cons. I was a bit nervous as it was the first time i had run a table without Kath, I recorded a full day of answers and had an excellent time. One of the ladies in charge--Meagan said i did an awesome job and would consider me for future events. Oh yeah i wasn't complaining that this also got me off of the phones all day.

  The next day as i was sitting at my desk wishing i was doing the podcast, i was visited at my desk by Meagan. She produced a comic book looking statue with a panel that said best pod caster. So i guess that technically we now have an award winning pod cast. The icing on the cake was that i was also presented with the tickets to Hammer town for doing such a good job. It was such a great moment. I'll never forget it.

No comments: