Thursday, November 28, 2013

The worst con ever : Part one

  So wow. People actually noticed i hadn't been blogging. I'll give a quick shout out to my buddy Andrea. I guess she's been waiting for a new blog for awhile. Bless her heart!  Well lets see if i can entertain her and my legion of fans.

 I'll tell ya about an experience we had at a brand new comic book convention called Hammer Town On October 5th. I actually won  a pair of tickets otherwise there's no way in hell i would have supported it.

 So if you recall Kath and I had tried to get press passes to the Niagara Falls comic con for the last couple of years. You may recall an older blog where i talk about how a guy named Chris keeps screwing us over every year and never gives us a good reason why. Anyhow Chris was in charge of a brand new con in Hamilton. It was an untested con at a time of year  that a lot of people aren't going to cons.

  Our good friend John Bulmer suggested we try for press passes again. I didn't feel like getting rejected again. John explained that if he turns us down for press passes to an untested con then he's just being an asshole. So Kath wrote up a massive email of all the stuff we've accomplished in such a short time with We Got The Geek. It was an impressive list and email. I started to think that we might have a shot. Then we got the response and---no. Shut out again. Apparently we weren't getting the numbers on our site that would be necessary to cover a brand new untested event. Seriously? Screw that. We weren't gonna go and support it then. I love comic cons so it takes a lot for me to pass up the chance to go to one. 

   Then they started announcing guests. No one special. As a matter of fact most of the guests had already appeared at the Niagara Falls con. Way to reach for the stars Chris! Then an announcement that made me sad that i wasn't going. Three actors from one of my all time favorite movies Back To The Future. Now lets keep in mind that it wasn't Michael J Fox or Christopher Lloyd.  It was Claudia Wells who played Marty's girlfriend and also the actors that played Principal Strickland and Mayor Goldie Wilson. Man i loved that movie and it would be cool to interview any of them.

 Then as fate would have it i won some tickets. Thats a story for another blog coming soon.  I decided (and pardon my french)  fuck it. Chris may have turned us down but I'm gonna contact Claudia Wells ahead of time and ask her for an interview. Kath was really concerned. What would Chris do if he saw us walking around doing interviews with no press passes. Um, not give us press passes again? Who gives a shit what he thinks. So we messaged Claudia Wells and she responded right away. What a nice lady. She agreed to an interview. I was in seventh heaven.  So lets sum up  n less than a year we had interviewed actors from Star Wars and Big Bang Theory and now Back to the Future?  Yes i was slightly proud of our pod cast and a little disappointed that none of this stuff happened three years ago when we were  doing the live show. So i prepared some questions for the big day. How did it go over? You'll have to read the next blog to find out!

No comments: