Friday, October 22, 2010

WTF Billy Joel?

Ok anybody that knows me knows I am a huge fan of Billy Joel. I've liked his music since 1980 when i bought my first 45' single "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me." In 1984 my parents took me to my first concert- Billy Joel on his Innocent Man tour. I've seen him numerous times since. I love all his albums. However he hasn't released a new album of songs since 1993. He's put out 2 singles and a classical album. Ok I don't have an issue with that. Classical music isn't my cup of tea but at least he was trying something different. What grinds my gears is that every year there seems to be a new greatest hits of his material. I just read there's a new one coming out in November. That's an awful lot of greatest hits cd's for a guy that hasn't had a new cd in 17 years. Come on man put out a new cd already. He's still touring but I've avoided going --tickets have been massively expensive and I'm not spending a million dollars to hear the same songs over and over again. A couple of years ago he tried an experiment that i thought was really cool. Since he didn't have a new album to promote he was playing a lot of album tracks and stuff he hadn't played in years. There were still some hits but they were mixed in pretty good with the other tracks. He had even opened the shows with Piano Man-- a song he had been closing the shows with since 1986. It was so cool. I couldn't wait for the show to get to my area. Yeah the experiment lasted maybe 2 or 3 shows. Within the week the shows were back to 99 percent greatest hits and maybe a rare song or 2.

So to sum up I still like his music a lot but he needs to stop living on past success. Other musicians his age have continued to put out awesome music and new cd's--I'm looking at you Bruce Springsteen. And come on Mr Joel--really another greatest hits? Dude seriously? Ok I am off my soap box.

No comments: