Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Adventures of a drunken karaokee sensation


Well today at work another drunken night came to mind. Prepare yourself for the tale of Jay's Karaokee contest adventure.

This story i think took place in the winter of 1997. So there was a huge Karaokee contest. There was about 10 bars involved. For four weeks at each bar 3 winners were picked and would advance to a city wide contest. The catch was you had to sing country music. Ugh. Some country is ok but nothing i wanted to be singing in a contest.Anyhow on the final night of the pre competion at a bar in Thorold south-i can't remember the name of the bar i actually sang 2 country songs. One was a Dwight yoakum song which borderline rocked. The secong was a tune that Billy Joel had originally done called Shameless. It was later done by Garth Brooks. I knew the song by heart and didnt even need to look at the words on the screen. I pretty much copied all of Billy Joel's moves from the video. I had never even heard the Garth Brooks version. At one point i fell down on my knees in front of a female friend. Much like Mr Joel did. So long story short at the end of the night i placed! I made it to the big city wide contest. I got myself a nifty fake medal. It was very olympic like. What made the victory even better was i beat out my ex girlfriend who thought she was hot shit. She was pissed and if i recall correctly she even threw a chair.

So a couple of weeks go by until the big contest. I showed up with a bunch of kfc work friends. We get there and there must have been a billion contestants or so. Guess who was last in the order? Yup thats right. Me! I was so nervous because everyone there was awesome and even liked country music. So back in those days what did i do when i was nervous? Thats right drink heavily. By the time i got up to do my first song i was half in the bag. By the time i got to do my second song? Lets just say I'm told i almost fell off the stage. I must have passed out because i came to,i was lying on a table and the lights were on. What was the first thing out of my mouth?
"so did i win or what?"

Needless to say i did not.

On a side note apparently being drunk in a karaokee contest makes me more attractive to women. One of my co workers who i was there with told me she thought i was attractive and that we should hook up--no strings attached. Here's the thing, although i would have thought that would be cool,we both never talked about it again or brought it up. Also a girl i went to high school with was there as well. She said to me. "oooh you're hot....now." This implied that she thought i was a little unattractive nerd in high school but was really really good looking now. At the time i had an awesome mullet so i guess she was right.

I'm not sure where i was going with this story. As with most tales of my past it just popped into my head while trying to grin and bear the red necks at work. Oh young Jay with the mullet you were such a drunken scamp.

No comments: