Monday, April 13, 2009

Burning Cars and Petty Shows


Howdy folks. Its the exciting start of a new week! I found out the other day that another long time friend of mine has been following my blog. I'm gonna give a shout out to my friend Andrea. We actually met in 1988 through my friend Scott. I remember it was at the Pen Centre and i think she was wearing an Indiana Jones hat at the time. I could be wrong. Anyhow as usual at work random memories pop into my brain. The other day i remembered a Tom Petty concert i had attended with Andrea and some other friends in 1991. It was the Into The Great Wide Open tour. Great show. For some reason there was a gigantic fake tree in the middle of the stage and at times Tom Petty would climb a ladder and go into the tree. So anyhow at the end of the night we were standing outside the venue and wanted to see if we could meet Tom Petty. The only thing we saw was his roadies yelling at hookers. Then we got the bright idea (and keep in mind we hadnt been drinking) to go wait in the dark alley beside the door that Tom Petty might come out of. Yes that was a real wise move,hiding in a dark Toronto alleyway. Not only did we risk geting mugged by some crazy Torontonian but how would it have looked if four or five kids jumped out of an alleyway at Tom Petty? Well we called off that plan and alas never got to meet Tom Petty.

Another Andrea memory i was thinking about was a time when she had driven Myself my Friend Colin and a crazy guy named Tim to the Grimsby truckstop. We must not have had a lot of responsibillity because we were constantly driving to out of the way places in the middle of the night. So we were sitting at a table enjoying our meal at the truckstop when we heard an announcement that a car was on fire in the parking lot. From the description it turned out to be Andrea's car. Colin grabbed a fire extinguisher and much like Kurt Russell in backdraft put out the fire. Andrea's dad and step mom showed up to pick us up and her dad actually drove her car home. I remember thinking he was either brave ir really crazy for driving it and kept waiting for it to burst into flames again.


Anyhow after all these years Andrea remains one of my best friends and i am happy we keep in touch.Unfortunately because of our work schedules and such we don't get to much of a chance to hang out anymore. We usually get together to go to a movie. The last time we saw her was when we saw Indiana Jones last summer. Hoping to catch Star Trek and Wolverine with her. Anyhow Andrea if you are reading this thanks for being my friend for the last 21 years. Let me raise a glass of pop to you! By the way as stated on an earlier post she was there on the famous New Years eve where we trashed a hotel room. I found another lovely pic from that night. Andrea is the one on the left and again enjoy my early 90's mullet!

No comments: