Monday, November 23, 2009

The sex show: Day one -whips galore


Well I'm back from the Everything to do about sex show. There was a lot going on so i will break it down into three blogs-one for each day we were there. First of all as you all know i really like doing our radio show. Doing it makes me very happy. Its on my friend Rob's internet station and i want to help him out in any way i can to make his station to succeed. If that means seeing a bunch of scantilly clad women for a weekend then i will take one for the team. Actually in all seriousness i really am a team player and will help out in any way i can. Its worth it to be able to do something that makes me this happy. Anyhow the adventure started right away. Rob needed to be in Toronto early Saturday morning to make sure everything was set up properly. He said he needed someone relable to go with him . I had no problem going early. So Kath and i made plans. She would bring up Nicole and drop Diana off with the sitter and do our errands. Rob picked me up and we made really good time. The show didnt start until 3 and i think we were done setting up our booth by maybe 11:30 am. Nothing to do but sit back and listen to tunes.

So to say this was me out of my element was an understatement. I like sex as much as the next guy--and who doesnt-- but a lot of stuff was new to me. There were different exhibits with many different toys and stuff like that. Rob took me around and i have to admit he was like a rock star there. He had taken his radio station to a few of these shows and everybody there knew him. I have to admit the people he introduced me to were all really cool and nice. First guy i met looked like Thor. Yes my geek mind had already started taking notes. We were right beside a booth that was selling whips. A couple of the vendors were practicing the whips and without missing a beat Rob put the indiana Jones theme on our loud speakers. It was pretty cool. There was another booth nearby that was selling leather underwear. The model in all the posters on the booth looked like Sylar from the show Heroes. My nerd thinking never stops and i was just trying to find things i could relate to.

So because i can't go a day without being paranoid i'll tell you what happenned next. Nickle called around noon. Keep in mind i figured Her and Kath would have left by now to come meet us. She was getting her hair done and Kath was suppossed to pick her up after she dropped off Yammy. So at this point Nickle hadnt even heard from Kath at this point. She said she would let us know if she heard something. Yup it was then i kicked into worry mode. What if something happenned? What if we had van issues? Thankfully we were texted an hour later. All was ok Kath just had a hard time finding the salon. All was alright with the world again.

So we went back to meeting people and Rob introduced me to some adult film stars. The girls arrived shortly after that as did some more members of the train rek radio family. I met Matt the other producer and the station intern Patrick who was going to be doing all the recording and producing that weekend. Then at 3 people started coming in to check out the show. Now because it was expensive to eat there we just brought in a bunch of crap to snack on-crackers,cheezies bagels--stuff i shouldnt be eating on atkins. Oh well what was i gonna do. Screw the diet for the weekend i suppose.

A few hours later Kath and i sat down with Patrick and attempted to record an hour of our show. There were a few technical difficulties but it wasnt to bad. I felt it was our best comic book reviews to date and i was pretty happy with it. Now i should note that during this time i had my first run in with a photographer friend of Rob. Now I'm sure he's a nice guy but he just rubbed me the wrong way. So i'm in the middle of recording and I'm in mid sentence when joe photographer decided to walk in front of and bash me in the face with the microphone i was talking into. So hard in fact that the inside of my mouth was bleeding. What the hell? This couldnt wait till we were finished recording? I don't recall hearing an appology either. By the way i totally get why Christian Bale yelled at that guy on the set of Terminator 4. I of course was on the air at the show so i kept my mouth shut and tried to forget about it.
We went for a walk after that to check out the sights of the show. We took in a burlesque show. Lots of lip synching to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. Got back to our booth and was in time to watch Rob dress up as Santa Clause. He was giving away t shirts to promote the station and was acting like Billy Bob Thornton from Bad Sanat. It was pretty funny. People were getting there picture taken with him-some in some really naughty poses.

So on the first night the show ended at midnight. We left the show and went to our hotel. Nickle and i left for a bit to go to pizza pizza to buy-you guessed it pizza. Saw a weirdo yelling through a mega phone. By this time it was about 1:30 am and we had to be back at the show at 10 am. We would be at the saturday show for 14 hours. A long day for an old bastard like me. We tried to go to sleep but we just kept saying random things that made the four of us giggle. Oh and at one time Rob threw a clementine at us. F' ing clementine!

No comments: