Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fan expo 2009.



Ladies and gentleman i give you my update on fan expo convention 2009. The day finally arrived yesterday. This year Kath couldnt go due to some knee problems. I decided to take my nephew Russell as i have been wanting him to go for a couple of years now. Rob was nice enough to drive. He picked me up at 7 in the morning. At the time i thought it was too early but in the end Rob was a god for wanting to go at that time. We made a pit stop at his place to pick up Nickle and some new friends Fortch and Rachel. After another quick stop to Tim Hortons we were on our way.Spent the trip chatting with Nickle and Rachel and having donuts and pop.

We arrived in Toronto at 9 am about an hour before the doors opened. There was already a gigantic lineup. Hmm maybe Rob wasnt crazy after all. Rob was kind enough to get my ticket as payment for helping him with the radio show a couple of weeks back. We got in line and saw various people dressed like Stargate characters and Black Canary and Spiderman. We nerded out with stargate trivia and whatnot while waiting to get in. Soon we got inside and i was like a kid in a candy store. To me the con is like my Christmas.

First we went to check out the celebrities signing autographs. We noticed there was a line up already that stretched for miles to see Bruce Campbell. Too bad for them. We later found out that he was being a total douche. He decided that he would only meet with the first 200 fans and then he was done. There was more than 200 people waiting for him. Should have known he would be an ass. After all he was the one who refused Peter Parker entry into the play in Spiderman 2. We got in line to meet Beau Bridges, He played General Landry on stargate. Funny enough i couldnt stand him before Stargate and he used to be my least favorite Bridges brother. He was pretty nice. He signed a photo for Rob and Nickle. Rob got him to say "open the iris" for me. Yes we are nerds. Funny thing about his booth,he had at least 3 photos from the one episode of Desperate housewives he had appearred on. Made me laugh. He bid us farewell by saying "keep that iris open." We took a look around at Spock and LandoCalrissian but didnt feel like waiting in line for them. We also saw a booth for the soup nazi from seinfeld. Good thing that on the sign in front of his booth it said "no soup for you." Otherwise i may never of known it was him. Leslie Nielson walked past us at one point. We later found out he was leaving because he was really sick. Poor guy. Surely it couldnt be true? It was and dont call me shirley!


Next we headed to the dc comics booth. Dc is a huge publisher who puts out such comics as Sperman and Batman. Funny enough this was the first year they had a booth set up at the con. When we got to the booth they were literally giving away everything but the kitchen sink. They gave away tons of comics and buttons and stickers and posters. I got some cool posters and supergirl tatoos for Diana and Wonder Woman tatoos and buttons for Kath. Russell was excited seeing all the free stuff and i have a feeling he may start reading comics due to this. It was amazing. In comparrison the Marvel Comics booth was giving away a comic and a poster.

Also on display was a cycle from the upcoming Tron sequel. Rob and i got out pics taken with it. By this time our bags felt like lead due to all the free swag so we went and dumped it off at the van. Came back in just in time to get light up Green Lantern rings! So cool.

I have to say there were lots of awesome costumes there this year. There were more super hero costumes there then in previous years. There were costumes of everyone from Wonder Woman to Green Lantern to the whole Batman family. I got my pic taken with some of them. Russell was a good photographer. Unfortunately he's a teenage boy so there are justa few pictures of super females behinds. I gotta say though that Russell was awesome. He was really well behaved and was really cool to have there. I would so go with him again. I got a little sad anythime i saw a kid dressed up. I missed Diana being there.

Around 2:30 Russell and i separated from the group. I wanted to look through some comic book bins and didnt want to bore the others. I found some cool cheap back issues and even finnished off 3 old series i was collecting. I found an awesome trade paperback collection of Superfriends comics for Diana. I also decided that since Russell was being cool i wanted to get him something to remember the day. I picked up the first 2 issues of Blackest Night for him. If he likes it i will get him the rest of the series.

We stayed until the place was closing up at 6. What a great day. We went out into the main lobby to take some more pictures and I ran into my friend Adriel. I found out he got there at 10 and the line was so bad by then that it took another 2 hours for him to get in. So Rob you made a wise descion getting us there that early! Took a few pics with Adriel and the had to leave. Drove home to St Catharines and went back to our place to order pizza and hang out. Had an awesome day with awesome friends. I want to say thanks again to Rob and Nickle for going and for driving. Only 52 more weeks until the next one! Oh and its back to work tomorrow. Yucky.

No comments: